Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

31. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 7, 2011, 18:42 Spaced

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 18:23:
Yeah, seeing how I've got like 5 grand worth of games on Steam, I'd like to get a fob too.

You have 5K worth of games bound to Steam? Wow, you better hope that this 'test the waters' hack is where it stops because with Steam being the biggest DRM system target on the planet, odds are this kind of thing is just going to get worse and build, getting bigger and bolder with more effective probes and attacks. It's just a matter of time before Steam itself has to be 'shut down for maintenance' when a breech occurs and there's no telling how long you will be denied access to the games you paid for and/or the extent of your personal payment information getting scalped.

This is exactly why I don't want some global net nanny to be the gatekeeper for PC gaming. PC developers should start unbinding their games from forced dependency on Steam now (making it just an option) so their customers can still enjoy the games they pay for regardless of whether Steam works or doesn't. Or at least make their games Steam independent from here on out.

The length of downtime their forums have been offline is not an encouraging sign for their ability to implement protections against such hacks and protect their systems.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo