Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 09:45 Satoru

baltar wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 07:35:
I heard some success with installing origin under sandboxie to lock it down from digging around your machine.

I got a wrapped copy sitting on my desk and am torn between actually installing it in sandboxie or returning it for a refund.. Really haven't decided yet.

The best you can really do is firewall the executable. The program is just doing a dir of the program files directory. Thus the only way to really 'sandbox' it would to run origin under a user profile that has no access to this directory. The problem is Program Files is a 'special' directory in Windows and you can't really lock it down much beyond the initial settings. So getting Origin to not scan that directory is going to take some ugly hacks.

Even after all your ugly hacking you're going to have problems. Note Origin needs to launch BATTLELOG which is their horrible browser based matchmaking. So if you're running IE, then Origin can't launch IE which is in Program Files, so ... no BF3. Even if you have some other browser, there's a 99% chance you installed it in Program Files so you'll have to move that out. And you'd better hope it doesn't need anything in Program Files\Common Files or again... totally screwed.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo