Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: Morning Previews Oct 29, 2011, 19:47 Jerykk

Personal opinion here, of course, but repairing weapons is never fun, in any game, to me. Regardless of whether it's supposed to be survival horror or 'old school' rpg or whatever, it just takes me away from doing the fun stuff, to do a menial, repetitive chore.

The process of repairing stuff itself isn't particularly enjoyable, but the consequences of having degradation does add depth to the combat and force you to role-play.

A lot of game mechanics aren't particularly enjoyable in and of themselves. The mechanic of trading with a merchant or looting a container, for example. Or using a health kit. Or reloading your weapon. Or running out of ammo. Or taking damage. Or dying. However, what's important are the consequences of these mechanics and how they affect the experience as a whole. If a mechanic adds depth or challenge to a game, I tend to appreciate it. If a mechanic adds nothing or detracts from a game, I want it removed. Bethesda's implementation of degradation was flawed but instead of fixing it, they just removed it entirely, Bioware-style.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo