Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 14:48 Evil Timmy

Excellent post, Yaogun, and I totally agree. As Ben Folds oh-so-sarcastically sang, "Y'all don't know what it's like, being male middle class and white." After growing up on the west coast and fitting into that category, I moved to Hong Kong with my family at age 15. With white people making up 0.6% of the population, I got to experience being a minority, and even in a place where foreigners are generally accepted and treated with a level of respect, I still ran into racism on a fairly regular basis. Even those small doses were hurtful, but more than anything frustrating. Given the strong American sense of individuality, anyone ascribing something to me as a group rather than as myself, based on a snap judgment of some demographic they thought I fit into, felt humiliating, unfair, incorrect, and just plain wrong.

And that's simply casual bigotry, nothing targeted, but simply a reflex from ignorance or carelessness. Any group that's targeted, not just for verbal abuse, but exclusion, legal separation, and violence, has my utmost sympathies and support. Acts like this are dehumanizing, they separate you from both your individuality and from the rest of the human race. We're free to say what we want, and especially think what we want. I support anyone's right to put forth whatever biased, bigoted trash they want, would defend it to the death etc., but the consequences are that they can and should treated like ignorant, shameful, backwards pariahs that have no place speaking when grown-ups are talking.

Of course, as with nearly every socio-political issue on the planet, South Park has mentioned it in one of their episodes (the first 30 seconds is Cartman fighting a midget, skip at your own discretion).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo