Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

202. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 28, 2011, 06:08 ventry

Animals for Crackers wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 03:13:
Ok ventry, define "normal" in the way you mean it then if you want. The word has like 8 definitions, some value laden and some not.

Say you were a doctor delivering babies and humanity had by then developed some way of reliably detecting a newborn's sexual disposition/orientation (just a hypothetical). Upon delivery of said gay baby (LOL), perfectly healthy and without blemish, would you then tell the mother, "Here's your baby, healthy in every distinguishable way!"

Mother(looking up expectantly at you): "So he/she is normal then?"

OK! For the last time.
You don't have kids do you?
That's the first thing OB nurses do when a baby is born.
Check for abnormalities. 10 fingers, 10 toes, no sign of Downs Syndrome etc.
As future sexual orientation is untestable, your point is moot.

Animals for Crackers wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 03:13:
Edit: I guess what I'm trying to get at with this one is... Say you walk up to someone and tell them they aren't normal, do you really think they're going to take it as, "Oh, he's just saying I'm not part of a normal statistical distribution for such-and-such trait!" No, people are going to usually go with the most common usage first, absent any specific definition of the word. You'll likely piss them off, people generally don't like being called aberrant freaks.

YERR!! DUUUHHHH!!
If you walk up to someone and tell them they are ugly it's likely to piss them off too. People generally don't like being called ugly.
HOWEVER, it doesn't change the fact they may well be ugly as a hat full of assholes.

I am friends with a Downs Syndrome sufferer. I would never think of telling him he's not normal despite what the REAL TRUTH is.

Time to hang it up dude. That's what I'm planning to do.
Feel free to have the "last" word if you must.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo