Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 23:39 jimnms

I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch. It was one of the better games of recent years, but I was left disappointed by it.

A lot of the augments were useless, and I saved my praxis points until I needed them. At one point I had 14 unused point, so I went ahead and fully upgraded dermal armor for the stupid boss battles, and the cloaking thing even though I'd made it that far without using it. I wasn't going for a pacifist run, but I was doing stealth and non-lethal because you get more XP. By the end of the game I had 9 unspent points. I never upgraded the battery things because I got by just fine with the single re-generating cell. I did upgrade the regen speed of unused cells though. I carried 5 of those energy bar things with me, and if I came across another one I just ate it. I never found a place where I needed more than two cells.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless. First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it, but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

It was also way too easy to get XP. After finishing a mission stealthily and getting the bonuses, you could turn around, go back and kill everyone for more XP.

Hacking was too easy, and the stop worms and nuke viruses were useless. The only time I used one was by accident, and I had over a hundred of each by the end of the game.

Then there was the endings. My biggest (maybe only) complaint about the original Deus Ex was that you get right to the end to make your choice, but it wasn't as lame as walking into a room and being told push this button for this ending, or push this button for this ending... The second Deus Ex, as flawed as it was, wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. One thing it almost got right was the way the endings played out. Depending on which side you worked with more earlier in the game changed the way the final level played, but you could still change your mind and pick a different side at the last minute.

I've started another game, but this time I'm just going to run and gun through it and find all 29 of the XP books. I think I only missed one, and I know where it is. I saw it, but I couldn't get to it and after I cleared the way I forgot to go back for it. After that I'll play one more time on the hardest difficulty and go for the pacifist achievement. I did get the achievement for not setting off any alarms, which surprised me because I thought a turret spotted me and set off an alarm early in the game.

As for the DLC, I think I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Steam Profile

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo