Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 12:51 Bucky

elefunk wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:23:
Creston wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:17:
Bucky wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 11:15:
but I do think the web-based browsing/launching system is a good idea, and could really be good if they tighten it up a bit more.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's a good idea? It seems needlessly cumbersome to me.

Creston
For me personally, I liked it far better than any server browser that DICE has ever produced. The length of time between clicking a server and getting in game wasn't longer, and before looking at servers, I didn't need to sit through an array of splash screens either. Nor did I need to go through some weird hack or tweak of deleting splash screen videos or modifying my launch script to circumvent splash screens.

It was even faster for me than getting into a game of Team Fortress 2. I saved a favorite place on my browser to Battlelog, so whenever I wanted to play BF3, I'd click that favorite place, and seconds later be joining a server. Without needing to load the game first, the entire process was much faster.

And finally, the simple fact that they can update Battlelog without releasing a full Client patch means that whatever issues that do exist will be fixed much quicker. Throughout the first few days of the beta, they released 5-6 updates that fixed most of the issues people were encountering.

That covers most of it. I think the true strength of the system will be the ease of updates for DICE. They'll be able to add features and improvements without the same amount of development effort it would take to do it in-game.

I'm the kind of person that likes to look at stats, mess with loadouts, and sometimes just check to see if a favorite server has anyone playing. Having all of this outside of the actual game makes the process quicker and easier, and I can have the game loading silently in the background if I do choose to play. Moving everything except what's required for gameplay outside of the game code would be fine with me, provided it's done right.

I'll grant that change, just for the sake of change, isn't necessarily good unless they provide a greater feature set than they could from an in-game system. So far, that seems to be the case. There's also the legitimate concern that the entire system could shut down when EA determines that BF3's life is over, but that's not a concern for me since I usually don't stick with a multiplayer game for more than a couple of years.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo