Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

104. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 15:12 Kastagir

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 08:46:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 03:37:
It only makes sense if your only (not primary - only) goals it to make money.

You hit it right on the head. Professional game development is a business, first and foremost. Publishers don't exist to innovate. They exist to profit. Right now, developing for consoles is how you maximize profit. Publishers don't care that console hardware is obsolete. They only care that the vast majority of consumers use console hardware to play games.

I'm not saying I agree with this mentality. I'd love for publishers to focus on PC development and really push the boundaries of both innovation and technology. However, what I want and what reality demands are sometimes two very different things. There's no point in getting frustrated about it because your anger isn't going to change a thing. If you want things to change, you'll have to do one of the following:

1) Become an indie developer that creates PC-exclusive games that are innovative and technically amazing.
2) Create a publisher that funds innovative and technically amazing PC-exclusives.
3) Boycott any games that aren't PC-exclusive.

Exxaaactly.

People who complain about EA only wanting money baffle me. What do you want them to be motivated by? They're a corporation, they only exist to make money for their shareholders. That's it, that's their entire purpose. Same with Bethesda, same with Activision, same with any gaming company. Even most indies are looking to pay the rent first and foremost, they just see innovation as the way to do that because they don't have the dev budget to focus on much else.

Just to be clear, I was talking about id software, not their publisher.

I don't care about the publisher - id is able to control how their products are made and sold. This very well may make them unique in the gaming industry, yet they chose to follow the same path as Bioware and countless others. A PC-oriented approach would still allow for a simultaneous console release, but with a clearly superior PC version at launch. This would have only increased the value of the engine to prospective licensees. Sure, it might cost more, but I think the hit to id's reputation for not considering PC technology this time around will turn out to be even more expensive than if they had followed a different course. I also don't buy any argument saying that it would have taken longer. They had 6 years. If they truly worked for 6 years solid on what was ultimately released, then they need to hire more people.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo