Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

69. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 01:02 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 23:24:
That's now how I interpreted his statement at all. He's saying that developing for a superior platform doesn't matter if you don't have the budget to create a game that takes advantage of it.

Nah, I didn't get that. Remember, he was speaking in the context of explaining why the PC version launched with significant technical troubles and missing features. In other words, the PC, while the most powerful platform, is also the lowest selling platform, thus not important enough to dedicate enough resources to ensure a working product at launch. Maybe it's just me, but taken in the context of the entire interview, that's what I get out of it.

Did you read his whole statement? It's HERE.

Here's what he said: "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

Given that context, it seems to me that he's talking about budgets more than anything else. Unless you're making an MMO, a PC-exclusive will never be given as big a budget as a AAA multiplatform title, so even if you're designing for the most powerful platform, you simply won't have the resources to take full advantage of it. Most publishers won't even fund a AAA PC-exclusive and it's pretty difficult to convince them that PC should be the lead SKU for a multiplatform title. Would RAGE have been a better experience if it were a PC-exclusive and had the same budget that it received as a multiplatform title? Sure. But the reality is that it wouldn't have gotten the same budget. It would have gotten a considerably lower budget. That's what Carmack is saying.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo