Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

49. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 13:09 BurntSoul

yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:57:
Mhm I was not aware that there are roguelike multiplayer games.
The only one I knew was the online component of dungeon crawl stone soup which is more of a score-based ladder system or something like that.

The thing is that I wouldn't want to give up the round based concept of something like nethack.
It would not be impossible to make multiplayer, though, it would just be kinda difficult and straining on all the players because you'd always have to wait for the other player before you could make your turn again.

But thanks, I'll check that link out.

Cool, no problem. You'll see that the Wiki references Diablo under the 'mainstream success' section. I'll have to agree that a Wiki will not necessarily be the official end-all answer about the Diablo series, the included statements do follow (in my mind) that Diablo is a Roguelike hybrid of sorts, not a pure definition of the roguelike.

In the case of Diablo, it is not a turn based roguelike (hybrid), correct? So it follows that you wouldn't have to go down the path of turn-based strategy gaming with your FPS unless you wanted to. Dungeon Hack (1993) was not turn based and not strategic per se. It was all real-time until you 'rested'.

I do understand your preference for the round based nethack concept, however. Unfortunately, there are less and less of us able to focus on those types of games anymore (turn based real-time strategy). The FPS idea cannot dwell on that mechanic in this day and age and so is relegated to a more action based demographic.

It would be great to see games like Jagged Alliance or a 'real' X-Com come back from the dead, wouldn't it?

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo