Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:20 Draugr

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:44:
Those are hugely inaccurate graphs.

The revenue one shows PC gaming revenues grow nonstop while console revenues dip 5% in the next 5 years. Optimistic, to say the least.

The performance one has the 8800GT being 3x as powerful as a console. The console GPUs are approximately 7800GTX level, and there is no benchmark that will show a 8800GT as 3x the power of a 7800GTX.

The data for video card performance is all over the internet, seems like 3x the power is the case in Crysis (if we're using the 7800 GTX as the 'console equivalent'.) I'm sure it's not the only game.

Here's a Decent breakdown of the two cards with multiple benchmarks.

Doesn't seem inaccurate, give or take a few percentage points. Though ymmv depending on the game, in some cases it only doubles performance. Generally speaking though the 3x power assertion seems pretty accurate.

The console projections don't seem to stray to much from what the trends would indicate, so it seems quite plausible, and to see them wane in popularity as they age I don't think seems implausible, and would contribute to this. The PC numbers certainly do seem slighty optimistic, though they've cleary been trending upwards for some time, for that to continue seems reasonable, but perhaps not at the rate they project..

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo