Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

26. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 23:50 cento

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 21:03:
That's why that cancelled Marvel game from EA was looking like the bomb. I saw one clip where the Hulk rips a lampost out of the ground and bats Cap through - fucking through!!! - a building! And this was actual gameplay, not CGI. It's the first superhero game I ever saw that looked like something out of the comics with the environmental destruction and what not. That lack of kinetic interaction is always what's bothered me most about superhero games. If I'm the Hulk and I punch someone I want to see them flying backward 20ft and through a brick wall, you know?

As I understand it (talking to co-workers that had friends working in the Chicago studio), none of what the EA game was doing was procedural. All of those assets were being custom built to destruct into hand built pieces, and in the end, it was FAR too costly. The project was over-scheduled and over-budget.

No matter how good of a demo reel that makes, it was a case of throwing money at it as a solution instead of figuring out a smart solution and it helped run that studio out of business.

I have no idea what may be the reasons behind the Avengers game, but am just pointing out that there is a lot of moving pieces to making a game, and that most of us rarely have the full picture. I am sure that even with insider gossip and my own professional interests in how the EA game was going that there are plenty of other factors feeding into its demise of which I am unaware.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo