Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 17, 2011, 12:45 Parallax Abstraction

necrosis wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 12:25:
What amazes me is how fucking stupid their filtering system is. It would filter a connection if it went over XXXkb/sec (there was one report on this that said what it was but I forget). And apparently they guessed wrong. WoW would spike over that threshold and get throttled, well any game could do this.

The main reason they throttled WoW is because their patcher uses BitTorrent technology. Rogers could have tweaked the filters to prevent WoW from being detected as such, they were just too lazy/incompetent to do it. If you also had a torrent running in the background while playing certain games, your entire connection would get throttled (even though they are only supposed to throttle the torrent traffic specifically) and thus, game performance would suffer. Neither Rogers nor Bell have implemented their throttling technology properly and it's caused huge problems across the board. But they're too lazy to fix it and since ex-executives of these companies largely make up the CRTC board, the commission hasn't been pushing them hard enough to come up with a solution. Rogers should have been ordered to fix this within a couple of weeks of it starting but it's been months if not over a year now. In reality, they shouldn't be throttling at all. Their claims of network congestion have been proven to be outright lies time and time again and the only reason they're doing this is to try to prevent people from getting TV online instead of paying for their overpriced cable services.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo