Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 16:50 Yaogun

Yes, it was one jerk who made the original ugly statement. That's disappointing and not cool. But you know what's REALLY disappointing and not cool? The fact that most of the comments here and at Kotaku are defensive and angry at the fact that, OMG, the jerk got called out on his jerkishness! As if the world would be a horrible place if people who were mean to women actually suffered a little social blowback.

I like women. I like gaming. I'd really like it if those two likes could go together more often. I think gaming would be way awesomer if the other 50% of humanity (yes, they are humans, not some mysterious monolithic sex object alien race) felt comfortable gaming.

But crap like this is exactly the reason that doesn't happen much. Yes, this was "only a joke," yes it was only one guy. But look around at the reaction and the fact that this attitude permeates gaming culture (or maybe ALL of culture, as Creston points out, which still doesn't make it right). Why would any woman want to hang around with guys who won't even stand up and say "dude, that's not cool" when someone tosses around epithets like "feminist whore?"

It makes me sad.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo