Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 21:29 theyarecomingforyou

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 20:31:
Look at countries where both the state/province plus federal government collects taxes. I pay only a "mere" 13% sales tax(federal and provincial) here. Or look at greece, their VAT is now pushing upwards of 35%.
You pay less tax and get less as a result, though Greece has separate issues - that largely relates to a grossly oversized public sector, combined with an incredibly low retirement age. If you look at the Nordic countries, they have even higher tax and yet have better quality of life, better healthcare / childcare facilities and a more independent press / media.

It depends what you want but it's a mistake to assume that lower taxes must be better for you. For instance, one reason for the lower tax in the US is that healthcare isn't provided by the state - that's an additional cost that has to be paid by the individual, and it also means that those less well off are left with very little. The question is how much does the state owe to look after its citizens? There's certainly a good argument for maintaining a low tax level and allowing the individual to decide their priorities but I don't find the US system to have the right balance; nor do I find our high tax to be right, especially with our excessive welfare state.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo