Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 23:36 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 18:50:
Add this to previous Gamestop scandals of employees playing games then selling them as new, and there's a lot to be upset about.

I'm always down for some GameStop bashing but I'm pretty sure this practice stopped in 2003 while I was still working there. Well, at least in my region. I remember because after that we could only do it with used games and eventually not at all. I worked there for about 2 years and only ever "checked out" a single game, can't even recall what it was now.

As far as "gutting" new game boxes to make a display copy... We would open one box and store the game in a cardboard sleeve locked behind the counter. When all new unopened copies had been sold, a customer seeking a new copy would be informed that only the display copy was available but it would still be full price. People turned us down often but at the same time many didn't mind at all. We would also offer to shrink wrap it if it was a gift or something.

The reason I'm sure this display copy problem got worse though is because GS ordered less and less new copies unless reserved. Pre-orders always get a sealed copy, people buying new but much later in the life of the game are very likely to get a display copy since only 2 or 3 new are kept in stock.

edit: OOoh forgot to mention that a fun side effect (err primary purpose) of this policy was cracking up at people stuffing their jackets full of empty game boxes. Oh mall GameStop, good times.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2011, 23:45.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo