Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 14:19 Tumbler

but ultimately DRM is not there to help make more money through inconveniencing legitimate customers.

...yes it is. That is the only thing it does. It only affects legit customers. They don't make any money off pirates so inconveniencing pirates makes no difference. Inconveniencing legit customers is how they make more money.

For example if I go and buy a DVD, watch it and then hand it to my friend to watch it the company that made the DVD doesn't like this. They do not have the freedom to police this kind of thing like software developers do.

Software developers can build systems into their software to watch what you are doing and make the software stop working if you do something they don't like.

So after watching my DVD in my example above if I tried to loan it to my friend he would get an error. Herp has already watched this movie on his DVD player so you're not allowed to watch it on yours. So derp who wants to watch the movie can either be inconvenienced to go watch the movie and Herp's house or go buy another copy so he can watch it on his own movie player.

DRM is all about inconveniencing paying customers because they believe that people will simply pay them rather than dealing with those inconveniences.

The Online Pass system is a perfect example. Your friend bought madden and you'd like to borrow it. The software works when you stick it in your console but certain features don't...which is annoying. But you can pay $10 to not be annoyed...isn't that worth it? This copy of the game is paid for but we're still going to annoy you because you'll probably just pay us...right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo