Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Best roast Turkey Aug 8, 2011, 20:56 Lesaonar

I was watching Alton Brown and he did a really cool roasted turkey. So major props to him for making me want to switch it a bit. You can brine the bird, as he did, but I didn't find it necessary. Thought I'd share this since there are other foodies here that enjoy good turkey. I was a professional cook for 15yrs.

Turkey, completely thawed or fresh
Carrots, onions, celery, apples
Thick cut bacon
Olive oil
Smoked salt
Cracked pepper
Sage
Chicken or Turkey stock.

Preheat oven to 500F/260C

Wash the turkey, inside and out. Pat dry.

I like to put the bird on a stand in the roasting pan, to keep it out of the juices, and place the carrots, onions and celery (Large chunks of veg) around the stand. You can also just put the bird on the chopped veg if you want.

Put about 3 cups of stock into the roasting pan. I recommend Better Than Bouillon concentrated paste.

Drizzle the bird with olive oil and massage the bird so it's totally covered. Sprinkle smoked salt, cracked pepper and sage on the skin. Cover the breast and thigh/legs in bacon slices. Stuff the cavity with apples.

Put the bird in the oven, uncovered, for the 1st 30 mins. Drop the temp to 250F/120C for the remainder of the cooking time and cover the bird until it's cooked (internal temp of 161F/71C).

Let the bird rest, covered in tinfoil shiny side down, for 30 mins or so.

The drippings that are left are mmm mmm good!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo