Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: 3d shows very poor returns Jul 29, 2011, 14:19 Creston

PropheT wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 14:00:
Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 13:27:
Eh, yeah they did. The price of TV units basically stayed the same for type and size for two years, where normally it would have fallen several hundred dollars. So they paid for it that way.

I paid the same price (if not less) for a 3D plasma set this year as I would have for any comparable non-3D set. I'm not sure I understand the argument that there was more paid by not buying one when they were more expensive since, well, I didn't buy one then.

TVs drop in prices by 5-10% every year. They're old models, old technology, size is too small, etc. It's been this way since basically the 1970s, when color tvs and lots of choice really started becoming the norm.

Since the advent of 3D, the price for, say, a 50" plasma model has remained relatively the same. Sure, there might be sales etc, but in the two years since 3D was available, we've not seen the normal dip in prices as we normally would have.

This is an artificial freezing of prices (and why it's not an anti-trust issue is beyond me, as obviously all the set manufacturers agreed to keep their prices the same,) which is being justified with the "It's all 3D now! That's expensive! It costs more to make these units!"

Except the non 3D units haven't fallen in price either. Of course they haven't, because if they had, NOBODY would buy the 3D screen.

So when you bought your 3D screen this year, you paid for it by the ~20% artificial inflation you received because the normal price drop didn't happen.

Still doesn't explain it well, I guess, but maybe it's a bit clearer now.

And before someone starts linking to a single TV set that did actually drop in price, yes, I'm sure there's evidence to be found that's an exception to the trend. However, the trend has been for a prize freeze on type/model vs the normal trend of 10% price drop per annum before 3D came out.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo