Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

236. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 15:32 Verno

I'm confused as to why this is somehow a worse thing than them making it exclusive? You don't seem to have a problem with Valve or Blizzard not allowing their games to be sold via other digital distribution systems (cutting out, what, 80+% of the market), but EA choosing to cut out 20% (or less) of the market is a horrible problem? [1) EA is allowing multiple other digital distribution systems access to the game, so they aren't locking it to their own system. Therefore, they aren't afraid to compete on sales. They aren't trying to get 100% of the sales price.

You don't think that excluding the largest competitor gives them room to negotiate rates with the rest? I'm not sure what makes you think they would hesitate to do this with GamersGate if they can do it with Steam. Whether you think they are doing it or not is up to you but that's the conclusion I've reached based on what's available to us. You can label it false all you like but I think it's a pretty valid assumption. I think like the quote implies, that EA is basically testing the waters to see if they can get away with this so I'm worried about the precedent it sets.

I will note however that no one can explain Crysis 2 disappearing. It's not exactly lighting the sales charts on fire, I'm not sure why it would be pulled which would suggest some form of distribution dispute.

I think what everyone (ok a lot of people here) want to see is Battlefield 3 being offered in as many places as possible, including their favorite sales platform whether it be Steam or not. That kind of competition is the best way to ensure better prices and convenience for consumers.

Really? So that big thread we had about it a few weeks back with numerous people complaining that EA would be going exclusive with Origin didn't really exist?

I think there are people who also bitched about SC2 battle.net and half-life 2 digital exclusivity but likely for different reasons. I wasn't being literal anyway and you knew that. If you want to nitpick then I will rephrase and say that I doubt anyone reasonable has a problem with exclusivity depending on the circumstances. I have no problem with EA saying TOR is a digital exclusive, I would have a problem with them saying "Ok heres the deal - Direct 2 Drive you can have this, GamersGate and Steam cannot" for example. Whether you think this is a realistic scenario is up to you but I don't like even the possibility of this occurring.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2011, 15:55.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo