Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:37 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:06:
The funny part of this story on Eurogamer was that they acted like all the GR games were console ports. In actuality of course the original game and expansions were PC games ported to consoles and the GRAW games, still the most recent releases, had unique and exclusive PC versions.

In any event, free-to-play online games are not what I want, PC exclusive or not.

Sadly GRiN had no idea what-so-ever about how to make a secure multiplayer game. You could literally edit text files in GRAW and remove all the buildings in a level, giving you free roam of the map and the ability to see and shoot enemies without that pesky village in the way. (edit: To be clear, everyone else still saw the buildings and were restricted by them. Just you weren't.) Wanted a grenade launching chaingun with unlimited ammo? Sure, just change a few numbers in the weapons file and the game just shrugged and said "Sure, whatever". Took them months to fix it and by then the online community was dead.

I remember being so excited at having such openness in the files, the ability to flip through so much of the game's code and mess around gave it such potential to mod, but the fact that they didn't bother to think about file checking so that client side mods didn't function in MP was something I just didn't expect them to so completely fail at.

Of course I'm sure Ubisoft just blamed the gamers for lack of people playing and the poor sales of GRAW 2. Fickle creatures we are, wanting decently designed games.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo