Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split Jul 5, 2011, 11:46 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 10:53:
justice7 wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 10:49:
Who at R* was responsible for GTA IV?

Honestly, the story of Niko Bellec and the entirety of Liberty City was a pure work of art. I'd be very sad if Team Bondi had anything to do with GTA IV.

They didn't. 0% of Team Bondi was involved in GTA4.

As for who owns LA Noire, my guess would be either Rockstar or T2. Neither of them would have sunk money into LA Noire and then let Bondi own the property. And since R* is basically the ONLY thing that T2 has that makes money, I'd say that R* can do whatever they want with LA Noire 2.

And yes, there is an LA Noire 2 being planned (and even an LA Noire 3.)

Creston

The intro text when you first run the game says the copyright is owned by Rockstar Games, Inc. which means that yeah, they own the IP and future iterations of the series will likely be developed in house. So Team Bondi literally has nothing to offer as an acquisition. If Rockstar didn't buy them, likely their only hope is to find another publisher to bankroll their next project, who will also own that IP. Meaning that Team Bondi is really just a studio for hire that has no real value in it, especially if they keep burning through talent. Given that Rockstar funded the last several years of LA Noire's development, even with their royalties they're earning, they probably don't have much cash on hand to go without a new publisher for long.

Rockstar is infamous for their bad management and abusive treatment of their staff (see the stories about Rockstar San Diego during Red Dead Redemption's development, reports say that Rockstar Vancouver is no better) and if they are kicking Team Bondi to the curb for similar reasons, you can imagine how bad it is. I'm amazed Brendan McNamara agreed to that IGN interview. After reading that, it's pretty clear the guy is an entitled egotist who thinks he has far more talent than he actually does. He probably thinks that because of LA Noire's success, they'll have no problem landing another publisher but after these stories, I bet many companies in this now risk-averse industries won't go anywhere near him. I wouldn't be surprised if the opening of Rockstar Sydney is announced in the next few weeks (staffed with many ex Team Bondi members of course) and that Team Bondi will fail to find a publisher and burn out within the next year. They made a pretty decent game but this industry needs less people like McNamara, terrible, arrogant managers with middling game design abilities.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo