Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 14:18 Rockn-Roll

Some of you need to play Quake again. I have it on Steam and play it almost every year during a weekend of gaming when I run through the entire Doom & Quake series then finish with the Half-Life series.

Enemy's just stand there? Well...some of them like the grunt, enforcer, Rotfish, Scrag, Zombie, and Vore moved very slowely, and the bosses didn't move at all. However, the Rottweiler, Knight, Fiend, and Death Knight moved quickly plus the Spawn was extremely quick and if you didn't kill it while it was waiting to pounce then it was almost impossible to beat.

"no atmosphere, plot or coherence"? It was all about atmosphere, plot and coherence...that's what made it totally different from Doom...instead of a soldier battling through hell it was a space marine battling aliens and the maps, textures, and enemies brought it out for us to experience.

Actually, Romero didn't do much work on Quake...he was tapped out after Doom 2 and mostly just played instead of worked...that was why he was dropped from id which was ironic because he essentially was the one who initially got everyone together. American McGee, Tim Willits, and Sandy Petersen did most of the mapping on Quake. He is a genius though...but as with most geniuses he is prone to addictions and his anethma is gaming, playing not working. I'd like to see him return to mapping because his maps were very good and the secrets plentiful and fun to discover.

A reboot of Quake hopefully will be without vehicles...more FPS and less cut-scenes. If the maps are interesting with challenging monsters and a decent goal (even if it's just to make it to the exit) then there doesn't need to be a deep story. That's the beauty of Quake...you aren't sitting there watching a story or interacting with characters...you spend 99% of the time shooting. Secret hunting and puzzle solving is mostly optional, but very rewarding which makes replaying Quake a lot of fun and different each time it's played.

There's also the mission packs to be considered...Hipnotic and Rogue really expanded the Quake universe. I think the best weapon upgrade was Lava Nails...I get a kick out of asking for Lava Nails at the hardware stores because I normally get a very serious reply that they had heard about them but don't carry them.

But, as was already said...id needs to finish RAGE and Doom 4 first otherwise the project will be contracted out again and I think everyone agrees that the in-house id games are much better than any of the contracted games.

Let's Rock!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo