Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: DICE Addresses Battlefield 3 Preorder Questions Jun 14, 2011, 00:39 jsmith

Nate wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 23:09:
Don't care about this physical warfare pack. The 3 extra maps that you can only get by pre-ordering with EA is the issue.

Actually, the issue isn't so much the Back to Karkland map pack with preorders, it has more to do with the Physical Warfare Pack.

The map pack will be available to any preorder, whether it is from retail or digital distribution. I imagine DICE's reasoning for the so called bonus is to help justify the price hike in the Battlefield series from $49.99 to $59.99. Extra maps (though one can argue if they are completed ahead of time they should be included by default) or other bonus material tends to lessen the ire of the consumer when a price hike occurs.

In my opinion, the real issue is the Warfare Pack, which includes 1 First Day access item (unlockable by everyone if they play the game long enough) and 3 Exclusive items (not obtainable in the game), one of which is a weapon. If DICE follows suit with the UK announcement which is quite probable, this item pack will only be obtainable via select brick-and-mortar retailers and no digital distribution retailers that we know of at this time. This is one reason that people are upset, some may feel the need to purchase the game from a retailer they normally would not do business with, due to lack of convenience, disdain for that particular store, or some other reason.

Another issue is what is stated by DICE in their Physical Warfare Pack FAQ:

DICE wrote:
Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

Does this imply there is a slight advantage? How about a moderate advantage? It is odd they chose to use the adjective 'significant' in their statement. I mean who knows, the Type 88 LMG might be ideal in certain circumstances and maybe that flechette shotgun ammunition could be lethal in the close quarter combat situations / maps where range isn't a factor in a standard engagement.

Any way you slice it, some people are going to be a bit perturbed not having access to all the same things other players will have access to when the only difference is supposed to be the player's skill.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo