Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

46. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 12, 2011, 10:04 shuttleswo

My view of IT security is naive? You seem to think they actually sit on their computers when at work actively snooping through the network looking for hackers like some security guard patrolling the halls.

The bulk of network security is automated, it is their task to set up and configure that security such that it functions effectively, properly alerts the correct people when something unusual is happening.

teddy, your view if IT security is incredibly naive; as you are assuming network administrators primary job is even network security, most network administrators have to spend the majority of their time doing tech support and general administration; only very large organizations have specialized network administrators that are shielded from that - and even then they have to deal with end users that are extremely lax about security and undermine the effectiveness of any 'automated systems' that do get setup. automated systems are only really effective at blocking 'drive by' automated attacks, but a concerted effort of hacking will blow thru them as if they aren't there.
i NEVER blame the network admins when this happens, i blame the administration for not providing them the resources (e.g. dedicated staff) to prevent it. but i also have a hard time blaming epic in this case as it would be hard for me (if i was an Epic suit) to justify having a full time security staff(er) to protect a gaming forum.

i mean let's follow your logic; if Bluesnews gets hacked next, are you going to blame blue? or furn?

Lets also remember, someone recently hacked EMC's RSA division - if someone can hack someone who's whole ORGANIZATION is dedicated to information security, then blaming Epic's network admin should be seen as completely ridiculous & yes, blaming the victim - the network admin is a triple victim first of the hacker and then of resources & priorities that epic gave them to accomplish the job and lastly of people like you.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo