Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

86. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:22 Teddy

PropheT wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 21:53:
noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 19:52:
One of the biggest strengths of PC gaming is the presence of all these peripherals and how games from all genres can be enjoyed using the most optimized input method. I have never understood this dislike of non keyboard/mouse control schemes.

I actually agree with your point here, but the keyboard/mouse controls still shouldn't be overlooked or irrelevant on any decent PC game.

It's actually pretty simple to fix the controls in DS3; reset the turning keys to strafe and set the RMB to control the camera and it works like every other game in the genre. Even if a controller works better here, there's no reason why the controls should be forced into the counterintuitive scheme they're using right now in the demo.

Exactly.

I have to ask, now that I think of it... To those playing with a console controller:

Does one stick move your character and the other move the camera? I'm assuming for the moment that it does. How would you feel if the left stick moved your character forward and back but left and right turned the camera, while the right stick, forward and back zoomed the camera and left and right were some otherwise pointless controls?

That's what they did to the keyboard controls. It could very easily have been, use the keyboard to control your character, and the mouse to control the camera, like every other game does. Instead they decided to place half the camera controls on the keyboard and half the movement control on the mouse. It's ass-backwards, and what's more, it's not even a matter of control porting issues, since it's contrary to how the controllers function as well. This was actually a decision someone made when creating the PC control system, and that's what baffles me more than anything else.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo