Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 15:14 Teddy

Not particularly impressed by the demo. Graphics are decent, gameplay itself... I have to assume the "continue" option at death is there only for the demo because there are no save points. The sounds and voice acting are fairly mediocre, story and writing were lackluster, but then for an action-rpg they don't really need to be spectacular.

There's a decent amount of loot, but of course the game is horrifically bad at explaining anything. THere's no tooltips that I found to explain what stats do, so... is 5 stamina better than 7 block? How about 20 agility vs 22 attack? No idea what the stats do, and thus no idea how to balance them. Not to mention the other ridiculously vague stats on weapons. Oooh, this weapon has +14 Doom. What the hell does that even mean? (Edit: That's not even a joke. I found a weapon with "Doom" on it as a stat. A few others with Chaos Something-or-other as well.)

Menu system is atrocious. SOOOO freaking bad. Want to get into your inventory? Press C, then select "Equip". Of course, there's also an "Items" option, but inexplicably, the only thing you can do in that window is transmute items to gold. What was the point in seperating them? So you don't accidentally transmute an item? Wouldn't using the same window but having a confirmation for transmutes just make more sense?

The talents/abilities windows are also segregated into huge blocky messes. It could all be displayed in one single page, but why bother when you can just half-ass it and make it clunky and awkward, right?

The worst part of the game, though (and that's out of a fairly large list of issues) is the control system. I don't know who thought up the idea to reverse the standard controls for ARPGs, but they should be fired. W=forward, S=backward sure... but A/D turning the camera instead of the character and using the mouse to turn the character... that's absurd and generally just a huge pain in the ass for the entire game. While I successfully finished the demo, I still can't say I'm comfortable with the controls. Add to that, you have "attack" and a total of 3 skills to use (only 2 in the demo) per stance... I'm left wondering what the hell they were thinking.

What happened to DS2 with it's five bajillion different spells, that gave you a much wider variety of ways to play? What happened to letting me choose what sort of character I wanted based on what I actually did in the game?

Ugh. It has some good in it, the stance system is relatively interesting, if somewhat pointless in the demo itself. I can see it being more useful in co-op where the varying stances of the two characters chosen can work together in a way, but still... Not nearly enough good to outweigh the bad.

I knew it was going to be different, but I was so hoping it wouldn't be awful.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo