Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

48. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 15:06 Teddy

necrosis wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:04:
Darks wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:02:
The answer is no, there is no online element for this game. Im hoping that the next one they come out with they will add some type of two player Coop.
What? Its a single player RPG. I can not even fathom how co-op would work without drastic changes to core game mechanics.

Take a look at The Old Republic and how it's handling things. Party members have the ability to select a dialog option to advise the leader, but it's the party leader who makes the choice on exactly what to say.

It's certainly possible to do it. It would be frustrating for someone if the "lead" didn't ever listen to their advice, but assuming the people playing together are friends then I don't see a lot of issue with it.

Could even be whoever initiates the conversation takes the lead, giving others a chance to influence the story directly. Either way, it wouldn't require any drastic changes. There'd need to be more enemies, but that's about it.

Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that any influenced action (hexes, intimidation, etc) could be used by partners, thus interrupting the flow of the conversation. If I decide I'm going to placate an irritating NPC and my partner walks up and punches him in the face, then we both need to deal with the consequences of that. It's that simple. You could even allow whoever decides on what to say first have their choice used.

The only thing you CAN'T have is two people navigating differing dialog for the same conversation. 3 way conversations happen all the time in the world around you. There's no reason they couldn't work in a game like this. Sure you may end up frustrated by your friends choices and the consequences they place on you as a result, but that's the risk of working/travelling with another person.

The more I think about this, the more workable it seems. Could even have different dialog options available depending on the knowledge / area of expertise of a player. Maybe your friend the mage knows enough about magic to ask different questions of a person and thus takes the conversation in a direction it wouldn't have taken with your swordsman's lesser knowledge of magic.

With the timers that already exist for some dialog options, you wouldn't have the chance to relate them all to each other before one of you is forced to make a choice.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 15:28.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo