Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: TrackMania 2 Website Apr 28, 2011, 19:32 Suddenly_Dead

Xymph wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 17:53:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 14:42:
Would Starforce really help against that? You can just break it and continue on your merry way cheating. It doesn't provide cheat protection; they'd need something else entirely.
Maybe not anymore, but I'm sure it was a major factor for TMN ESWC, which was wrapped with StarForce, and not hacked as far as I know, nor were cheat tools developed to cause rampant cheating, as happened and is happening with TMF.

It could just be coincidence though, or that they developed the tools towards the end-of-life for that game and adapted them to the next. I feel like MW2 has a lot more cheating than MW1 did, but part of that is just that tools were already there.

I don't know the details, but Starforce probably does encrypt the executable to make it harder to crack, so I'm sure that prevents unsophisticated hacking, and maybe that's all we've got in TMF. It's no Punkbuster/VAC though.

Xymph wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 17:53:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 14:42:
The only way I can see copy protection helping with cheating is if TM2 doesn't have a free version. Then if a person is banned, they're banned until they shell out the money for another copy of the game. Considering that they've only got the one environment planned for release right now, that's probably how it's going to be at first anyways (unless I've missed something)
That would only work as a deterrent if players were completely banned from the game, which requires Nadeo's involvement.

For TMF that's not the case, I can only ban players from the community-built, online records system Dedimania, so cheaters can still keep racing online, it just prevents their records making it into that system. And they're added to a global blacklist, which prevents cheaters from entering servers that use that blacklist (but that's a minority of all servers out there).

And FYI, of the 2349 TMF logins currently banned from Dedimania, 268 or 11.4% used a United account. So there are a quite lot of paying players that cheat regardless or ignorant of the consequences.

Getting banned from Dedimania and blacklist servers is what I meant. I know they'll still pester other servers, but it's something.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo