Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:04 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:59:
Parallax,

I have no rage over this promotion, I wasn't actually even aware of it until this morning. It just seems stupid.

And yes, the promotion as it is NOW is nothing but beneficial to everyone. This is still the game industry we're talking about. It won't take them long to turn it around so it's only beneficial to you if you actually take part and PAY.

DLC when it first came out was strictly "additions to a game."

It didn't take long before it turned into a "content we're withholding, even though it's already included, until you pay extra" scheme.

All in all, it seemed like a lot of hoopla over something that tons of people apparently took part in, only for a ridiculously minor change in release date.

Creston

I do get your concerns and I agree that the game industry isn't above pulling a stunt like that. But for any AAA title to succeed in the way the market works like now, it needs massive hype and needs people there on day one. Over something like 90% of a game's sales happen in the first month. If publishers start promotions where it forces potential customers to either buy into pre-release content or wait weeks to play (especially with titles where a strong multiplayer community is key), it's a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big publishers try that idea and I guarantee you it will be the only time they do because that title will be pirated six ways from Sunday and will be a financial disaster.

I think this is a fundamentally different situation than how DLC has evolved into making people pay for a complete experience but really, even that hasn't played out the way people predicted years back. This is an industry where profitability is becoming based on luck alone in most cases and there's no doubt that increasingly desperate companies will try increasingly desperate things. But I think something like this just wouldn't work for them. Most people already think $60 for a console game is too expensive and with such a selection out there, very few will pay substantially more just to get the game on release day.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo