Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated] Apr 15, 2011, 04:18 jsmith

So all copies except GOG's copy of The Witcher 2 will ship with SecuROM and a 5 machine limit with unlimited amounts of deauthorization. The copy from GOG (their own game sales website) will be DRM free. That is still a shady move to try and herd some customers away from other digital distribution websites. I would expect a move like this from Gamestop and there newly acquired Impulse site, but not this company.

No matter how you look at it, Good Old Games pretty much had to be DRM free with all of their games; most are outdated with zero support. Hell, some of the companies of the games being sold are no longer around. In order to sell that sort of software they have to make sure it is playable without DRM such as CD checks, words from the manual, or phone home checks. Making it compatible with Vista and Windows 7 is an added bonus for additional sales.

This is the first modern release of a popular title occurring on GOG (to my knowledge), and CD Projekt wants to cash in on extra sales directly to themselves. While I do not see a problem with a company wanting to make more of a profit, using DRM to achieve this goal leaves a poor taste for the company. It would have been better if they had offered bonuses for ordering through GOG, not punishing those that choose to go elsewhere.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo