Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:32 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:13:
Dirwulf wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:09:
Way to take the quote out of context Verno. If you're going to quote something, you use the entire quote. You work for Fox News now?

This coming from the chief Bioware apologist? Amusing hypocrisy. I didn't provide the other 10 quotes either but I did provide the link for people to read themselves. Did you even read the text you provided? Let me bold it for you.

""Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily - and while we do ensure that additional presence exists when launching patches or server updates, this weekend was not the case. "

Translation - they are not monitored by paid employees unless they are launching a new product or a patch. The support forums were not monitored by paid employees which in turn lengthened the resolution of this entire debacle. This is a AAA developer, I think they can afford employees to watch the support forums, it's not exactly difficult to spot a 20 page thread.

Most companies use volunteers on their boards. I take it you have never worked for a game company before. Its prohibitively expensive to hire (how many?) people to read forums for every single one of EA'/Bioware's games, and each one of the sub forums for each title. Especially since a lot of posts are from people who don't report bugs correctly, just want to rant and rave, etc. That's why most companies also have email addresses to send support issues into. Now I don't know if Bioware has something like that in place, but it probably would have helped them in this situation. Usually weekend staff is light to begin with, so I'm sure that didn't help either. Also, the game is an older title, which will also impact the staffing.

Now as several other people have pointed out, they should have just removed the authentication once sales decreased. I am surprised they didn't do that now, but fixed it instead.

By the way, I don't trumpet for any one company. After having worked in the game industry for 15 years, I see things from the developer side. You all make it seem like its so easy to run a game company and all that entails. So I defend the developers a lot.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo