Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 13:52 cento

Jerykk wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:27:
You're assuming that piracy and purchases are mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible for someone to buy a game and then download the pirated version so they don't have to deal with the DRM. If they use torrents, that download gets used in piracy statistics regardless of whether or not they own a legitimate copy of the game as well.

That's pretty much the boat I am in. I have only used a hand-full of cracks or pirated versions, and in every case it has been for a game that I owned. It started with Half-Life 2 when it first launched and Steam sucked. I literally could not play my retail copy I purchased on Day 1 due to it locking up on every load screen while it tried to connect to Steam (and yes I had an internet connection). Within a week, cracked versions were out, and I played through it all on the cracked copy.

After I got a laptop, I acquired a number of pirated copies of games I already owned just so I didn't have to bother with carrying discs around me to play games on my laptop while on business travel. But again, I have no pirated copies of games that I don't have retail copies I also purchased.

And at this point, any game that I hear about that goes too far in its DRM, I won't buy or play at all, not even a pirated version.

Music is a whole different matter. I only buy music from small indie labels now. Anything from a major label I refuse to pay for at this point.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo