Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

49. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 23:39 Jerykk

Once you had that aug in DX1, it was the most convenient, and often most efficient, way to heal up. I see this as an extension of a system that worked. It's a lot more believable here than it is in Call of Duty.

In DX, you actually had to find and install the regen augmentation, at the expense of any other aug you could have placed in that slot. In addition, the regen aug actively consumed energy during use and energy did not regenerate unless you used a bio-electric cell or recharge station.

That's a pretty substantial difference from the regenerating health system that this and pretty much every other game these days uses.

The ladder climbing is unimportant in the grand scheme, the cover system is not really doable in an entirely first person view, and I assume you have two gripes with the takedowns: 1) that they're third person (they'd look awkward as hell from first person with some of the spinning moves), and 2) that they're automatic takedowns (in which case I ask whether you'd rather have some kind of QTE equivalent?).

The ladder climbing is trivial, yes, but still annoying. I really don't see the point of seeing my character in third-person while climbing ladders and the sudden break in perspective hurts the immersion.

As for first-person cover, it's worked in plenty of games. Traditionally, you just have keys assigned to leaning left and right, allowing you to lean around any corner at any time. This worked fine in Deus Ex, Thief, No One Lives Forever and pretty much every single game that has used it. Conversely, you could do for an actual cover system like Killzone 2, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood or the upcoming Red Orchestra 2. Basically, when you're next to an object that has been flagged as cover, you stick to it and can lean around the sides and the top, all while maintaining a first-person perspective.

Finally, my first issue with the automatic take-downs is that they're in third person. Other games have had first-person takedowns, like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and I think Chronicles of Riddick. I didn't find those implementations awkward at all. My second issue is that the actual take-downs are completely non-interactive and watching the same animations over and over will grow tiresome very quickly. I'd much rather have an actual melee system ala Deus Ex where I can manually swing my weapon whenever I want. In DX, you could knock guys out by hitting them on the back of the head with a baton. It was quick, efficient and kept the player fully involved. In addition, I believe the take-downs in DX3 don't even have to be performed from behind. As soon as you get within range and push the appropriate button, the takedown will commence regardless of whether you're sneaking around or right in the middle of combat.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo