Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

113. Re: Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 13, 2011, 14:14 Bhruic

The combat in this game is absolutely horrible. 95% of the time, combat involves me selecting all of my guys, and running them far away from the combat to avoid the stupid "hey, we're going to spawn another 10 guys right on top of you" syndrome.

Then there's the idiotic stun-lock they've got going. If you've got 1+ guys hitting on you, it's entirely possible to sit there and be unable to move/cast spells/drink potions/etc, and effectively be locked in stun mode until you die. And there's nothing you can do about it.

And then there's the fact that controling your characters can enable you to completely avoid enemy attacks. And I mean completely avoid. I've already brought up how easy it was to run in circles around the ogre, but most other enemies can be dodged just as easily. You can watch an enemy set up to swing at you, take a step to the side, and they miss you. There was one fight with a dragon where my tank just side-stepped attacks, and made the fight a complete cakewalk. There was another boss fight where all the companions had gone down earlier, and it was just me left. I'd taken out the archers (they + spellcasters are the only counter to this "tactic"), and was able to run in circles vs the boss + 5 enemies. After running around and casting fireballs, I took out the normals, and proceeded to side-step attack the boss and killed him easily. He never touched me.

Or another example was fighting spiders. There were 6 of them. It was entirely possible to run right through the entire group of them and not get hit. That's not run around, that's run right through. They'd take ineffective bites at me after I'd already run past them. The enemy AI and the way they handle melee targeting in this game is just horrible.

And then there's the assassins. Already been touched on, I know, but enemies that can turn invisible, teleport, and do an uninterruptable critical hit on you? Someone really thought that'd be a good idea?

These issues plus the conversation wheel of mystery have really made me disappointed in DA2. I knew after playing the demo that it wasn't going to be as good as DA1, but I was hoping it'd end up being somewhat enjoyable. As it is now, combat is an exercise in either frustration or tedium, and role playing seems limited to whether you want to be nice, snarky, or mean. Not even close to the standards of the original.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo