Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 15:44 Rockn-Roll

And the other shoe drops...MS on Improving GFWL.

I didn't find any information, but it's my guess that the Tribes reboot will use GFWL and Microsoft thinks it's the AAA title that will sell us on their service. I remember Tribes...it was fun when it was new...the larger environments was very cool (though Quake 2 released mega maps around the same time). And Tribes 2 was fun with it's commander mode.

However, the weapon damage modifiers sucked totally...it took at least 20 seconds to move to a point in contention, but then the actual combat...the whole point of playing this type of game...lasts only 2 seconds...then it's respawn time for another 20 seconds of jumping and running to get another 2 seconds of combat. The Quake 2 mega maps also failed for the same reason...even though the combat on average took at least twice as long.

I remember there were up to 2,000 players over 30 servers running for about 2 months after their releases, then it trickled down to half that, then bottomed out with 4 or 5 servers with no more than 100 players after 4 months...and mostly very young kids. It was a favorite at Lan parties, but internet play was minimal.

I suspect the same will happen to this Tribes reboot...a decent amount of sales...initial release will see lots of servers and players, then after the newness wears out players will play games that gives them a better ratio of battle/movement.

Let's Rock!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo