Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:25 Zyr

The press release is vague enough that it could be some sort of OnLive/Gaikai streaming service, but I don't find that very likely at all. This sounds more like presenting Steam in a much more HTPC friendly way.

I have a pretty modest HTPC that I primarily use to stream media off a NAS. It's powerful enough that I can run Mass Effect 2 at max settings on my 1080p Plasma, and I've done local co-op on Street Fighter 4 as well. It works great once the game is running (and yes, you can use a mouse/keyboard just fine from a couch/comfy chair with some preparation), but using Steam is an absolute chore at 1920x1080 on a 50 inch display from 15 ft away. So an improvement there would be absolutely awesome for me.

HTPCs are a niche market but genuinely great. I'd love to see more local co-op/split screen in PC games as a result of a big platform like Steam catering to that market.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo