Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 19:59 Ruffiana

DrEvil wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:54:
Draugr wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:26:
Narf2029 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:29:
Considering that BioWare didn't make a cent off of your used purchase, I don't think they give a shit about your thanks. Especially since they're part of EA now.

This. by buying second hand you've given them as much money as someone who stole the game.

By the logic, I assume you are implying libraries are a hive of villainy and scum.

There's arguably more of social benefit to the sharing of literature and promotion of reading for groups of people who may not have the disposable income to purchase books for themselves. Much harder to make a compelling arguement for similiar social benefits of access to cheaper/free video games.

Also, libraries pay more for a book than retail...just as video rentals services pay more for a copy of a movie they intend to rent out. It's not enough to offset the potential loses of retail sales, but generally people who really enjoy books tend to buy a copy of said book, hold on to it for decades, and periodically re-read it.

Finally, last time I checked a book does not typically require a multi-million dollar investment and teams of hundreds to birth. So the risk/reward ratio from a business perspective is skewed very differently. Regardless of all that, the print media industry still isn't doing terribly well these days. A number of publishers have folded, and the rest are investing heavily in digital media formats. Not to say that's the fault of libraries, but it is to say that what is available to borrow from libraries is going to be completely different in the near future.

Amusingly enough, if you do a bit of digging around on the web for discussions about libraries and e-books, and you'll find the same sort of divisive nature from people as you do concerning restrictions on games.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo