Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 00:41 CannibalBob

Draugr wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:05:
Yay, for recognition of the medium!

hopefully with this voting, people keep in mind what they are voting for, and don't look at it as a "vote for what you liked" situation.

I don't understand. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder. How can you vote for something you didn't like or even play?

Well, I voted. It's interesting how they break up all the games into 4 genres: Action, Adventure, Target and Strategy. Think 'arcade' for 'target'. What's even more weird is that they break up the games into consoles/systems. NES, PC, XBox, C64 etc. How does the medium affect the game's artistic qualities? Some games are on many systems, like Mass Effect 2 or Sim City 2000, yet they are only in one of the categories. It would've made more sense to have the 4 game genres and just throw all the games into each one, regardless of the game system.

There are some serious games missing, though... Planescape Torment, Braid, X Quest (Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest etc), Monkey Island, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Commander Keen ... I could go on, but overall it felt like a weak selection.

edit: It's still pretty nifty, though. Glad to see games are getting recognized. IMO anything that stirs up feelings and thought is art.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo