Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Minecraft Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2010, 11:31 Kxmode

kylania wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 10:07:
kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 02:09:
All of the following was created by Second Life users:

The point is in Minecraft anyone can drop a few blocks here or there and make anything they can think of.

Your average SL user isn't going to make anything like the things in those SL videos. Your average MC user does make the things like in those MC videos.

So what you're saying is MC is like WOW while SL is like EVE Online. Thanks!

Jokes aside, there's always going to be more consumers than creators. In any industry only the gifted rise to the top. This will happen in MC as it has in SL. The only difference between SL and MC is Mindcraft looks very restrictive as far as creativity goes. You can't control the textures, music, sound, etc. You have to build your world from a set of pre-defined objects and rules.

The rules in SL are created by users, for users. If you want to own land you pay. Once you own a piece of land you set the rules for your property. The rules can be loose or strict. They can be freeform or locked to specific conditions to support some sort of RPG you wish to make.

Speaking of which if anyone wanted to get into game making SL might be a good platform to practice on. It has an advanced scripting engine. Prims are objects that can be twisted and bent to form complex objects. There are also high resolution templates for creating textures for avatars and objects. You can import sounds and music. You can also create animations called gestures. Actually, you could create an entire MMO inside SL; as many have done. Basically SL mimics the same basic characteristics game making engines offer. If you're familiar with FPS editors then you have an idea what SL is like.

By the way I'm an average SL user and I've made creative stuff. Off hand I made a Grim Fandango avatar from scratch (even created the textures).

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2010, 11:50.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo