Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 18:32 Eldaron Imotholin

PropheT wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 18:18:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:47:
Make the customers love you, and they'll buy from you and not hurt you.

This is bullshit, and has been proven to be by the "name your own price" sales that some developers have done where even for free people still chose to pirate the games in large numbers.

Your example doesn't have much to do with befriending your customers. It's just some weird stunt for some cheap ass games.

People pirate because it's free, not because of DRM, or because of whatever slight they want to imagine is driving them to do it.

Yup, DRM is useless and only pisses paying customers off.

And internet speeds making downloads much easier has made piracy much, much easier than it was before broadband proliferation was a factor in the numbers. I don't even know how anyone could argue otherwise unless you're talking about CD markets in back alleys of Singapore.

What we see allot is Valve lovers and BioWare lovers (first 2 names that popped in my head, and for a reason). Those people won't soon pirate games from their beloved company even if it's easier and cheaper.

So what do we get out of this? Protection doesn't help fuck. Make sure your company has a trusted, good (and, ideally -- like CDProjekt -- almost selfless) reputation.. and that's the best protection you get. Now it's my turn to say I can't even believe anyone could argue otherwise.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo