Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: EU Call of Duty: Black Ops German Ban Oct 28, 2010, 13:19 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 12:39:
The problem here lies with Germany's absurd media restrictions and censorship.

No it doesn't. I know that you're a Steam fanboi and don't want to hear it but the problem in this case is Valve. Living in Germany I can import any game from the US, the UK or Austria or from wherever the fuck I want. If the game is actually forbidden (as opposed to just being USK 18+) in Germany then there is a small risk that the game might get zapped by customs. That risk is pretty much zero if I order from the UK or Austria because of the whole free trade thing in Europe. Then if I have the game in my hands I can freely install and play it. No one can stop me from playing the game. This is how it usually works when Steam is not involved.
It is only because of Steam that I can not activate or play an imported copy of CoD Black Ops and as far as I know Black Ops is not even a forbidden game (yet). It's just a USK 18+ game. It's a complete asshole move by Valve and Activision not to allow German players to unlock their imported copies.

If German citizens aren't happy with this then they can either boycott the game - which wouldn't really help their cause

I don't give a fuck about a "cause". I will boycott this game and torrent the fucker as soon as a crack is available. Activision and Valve can fuck off and gangbang each other in the A or something.

...or they could build up enough momentum to force a change of government policy. Perhaps a game this big will be enough to finally start that.

Sorry but that is complete bullshit. After the killing sprees that we have had over here in Erfurt and in Winnenden we can call ourselves lucky that there is no total ban on violent video games. The majority of the population would be in favor of such a ban. As gamers we are the minority and we want to keep a low profile and not stir up any unnecessary shit or it might backfire very badly.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo