Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: On F1 2010 AI Sep 28, 2010, 15:02 Aero

I don't buy that there is anything too fake going on in the actual race (though they do warp back to the track after spinning out into a sand trap and do some goofy things--things that are largely acceptable for them to do, but they should never do them while in the player's field of view). The AI isn't great, of course, but I can't think of any racing sim (or semi-sim) that has great AI. Virtual Grand Prix 3's AI is probably the best, but even they are a little robotic sometimes.

Mostly this whole thing seems to be a small number of people making valid criticisms and then a huge horde of trolls making a big annoying noise.

The biggest problem with the AI is their inability to navigate the tight hairpins and chicanes on many of the tracks at anything like a human pace. This is probably where the qualifying issue comes from as well.

That is a common problem in even the better racing sims. Aside from VGP3, in every single sim I can think of, you can generally pass three of four cars easily on the entry to a chicane by out braking them on the inside. A certain amount of the problem comes from the fact that this is something you would never, ever do in the real world because it's too reckless, but probably a larger amount comes from the difficulty AI have navigating around each other in tight bunches.

Overall, I'm relatively pleased with F1 2010. It has a few bugs that NEED fixing (like the lollipop man thing), and it isn't nearly as realistic in terms of physics as I would like (there doesn't seem to be any differential simulation at all... the rear wheels always lose traction at the same time), but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd give it an 7.5/10 myself, mostly for bugs and somewhat disappointing performance (and not taking off points for the physics, which are the way they are by design).

I really don't see the AI being improved much in a patch, given that it is actually a very difficult thing to program. It's not buggy, it's just that CM are at the limit of their ability.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo