Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 21:43 Aero

I actually like to think of it as a combination of naval combat (capital ships) and WW2 style dogfights (Star Wars style, pretty much) with fighters.

I like the X games, but for me they tend to be too large-scale economics based (factories and stuff, I prefer the lone trader approach). I also don't care for the organization of the universe as a bunch of effectively empty cubes of space between jump gates. That is where Evochron has its biggest strength IMO, in that it is one big continuous galaxy with the appropriate planetary system structure (though scaled way down, of course... planets seem to be about five miles in diameter). If you had a few years to kill, you could, for instance fly from one planet to another in another star system on just thrusters.

That said, the X Universe somehow seemed more alive to me than Evochron, though it's hard to say why. In that sense, I think Freelancer was excellent. Even though in reality it is a much, much simpler implementation, the radio chatter, being able to pick up missions from characters at bars and such, made for excellent atmosphere, even though it was all very superficial and repetitive.

I suspect you'd like Evochron, but it is a very different breed of game than X3. It's probably worth putting in the tutorial time plus the 90 minutes of gameplay you get in the demo.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo