Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: Steam Serving AMD/ATI Drivers Sep 15, 2010, 22:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 16:55:
Testing it out right now with the 10.9's.

Edit: works as advertised, just installs the driver and CCC. I wish the whole thing was totally in the background though, it popped up on screen and stole focus. You can see the whole regular driver setup running but you can't change any of the options at that point so it seems pointless to even have it on screen.

Not sure if it's a good idea on the whole video update thing. Lots of issues with bleeding edge drivers in games sometimes, I can just imagine the 'why is my game blackscreening when it worked yesterday' posts.

Those issues are far outweighed by the sheer amount of people who have no clue how to do simple things like update their drivers. The sorts of compatibility issues you end up with there are far more problematic and lead to all sorts of "wtf new game I bought wont run! omggg company sux" frustrated consumerisms. Having videocard drivers auto-updated is a great idea but unfortunately can lead to things like the Nvidia fan profile debacle becoming even more serious. Plus the uninformed consumers have to opt-in otherwise the whole thing doesn't work. So it's a good idea but will remain a niche enthusiast thing unfortunately.

But the people who don't know how to upgrade their drivers are likely not on Steam, and are sure as hell not informed enough to opt-in to an automatic driver update system.

So I'm not sure who they're trying to reach here. Probably just a thing of convenience, or another "Feature!" for marketing to check off on the box.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo