Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: Dragon Age Witch Hunt DLC Released Sep 8, 2010, 02:53 Tomas

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 01:51:
I think 95% of "OMG THEY CUT IT OUT OF THE MAIN GAME" stuff is hyperbole and false, to be frank.

And yet, games like Mafia II dump out DLC days after release. I sort of agree, but I don't think it's even a stretch to say that for many games DLC content was just stuff they decided not to finish for the core game somewhere during development. Having been there I know how nice it is to just say, fine, let's cut that and release it later as a "patch," which these days means DLC. Only difference is now customers pay for it twice.

For me, the biggest issue I have with DLC is that one or two things almost always seem to happen. In most cases I have already become bored of the game because the DLC took so long to come out (which fights against the point I made above...sort of) and thus, when it does, I don't even care about it anymore. Making this even worse, the DLC is in many cases so meat-free (more guns for ME2 anyone? What the hell guys? Really? Buy guns for a game I already won weeks or months ago? Seriously?) to make me want to jump back into the game I finished months ago.

In the rare cases where the DLC has some meat, I think of it more as an expansion, and in these cases I'm happy. An example would be Borderlands (ok, Moxxi was an exception) where the DLC is cheap, has some actual value to those who still love the game, and actually is for a game that had some long term replayability.

When I finish a game in a day or two I rarely will even consider buying DLC unless it's got a LOT of new stuff. One more side quest, or a new armor...wow, you've got to be kidding.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo