Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2010, 04:13 Dr. D. Schreber

Many won't, many won't expect to be as a matter of course because their jobs, in theory, should keep them away from combat. Plenty will find themselves being shot at anyway, either because someone took a wrong turn (see Jessica Lynch) or because the job they initially went in for didn't work out like they planned/hoped and they end up getting rolled into convoy duty or at a guard post on a base somewhere in the sandbox. It is entirely possible to join the military for something you think is benign and still end up being shot at, in which case, basic training should've taught you, both physically and mentally, how to point a gun at another human being and pull the trigger. I don't know if that old bayonet exercise is still done, but there's a reason recruits are (or were) given bayonets in a day and age when they're mostly useless and told to shout "DIE DIE DIE!" at the training dummies as they stab them repeatedly, instead of being told "Now, go ahead and put the pointy end in the training dummy." It's not because they need help with the concept of how a knife works.

I don't mean this as an insult, I don't see military personal as less than human or automatically psychotic, I just see it as reality. If you're part of the armed forces in any way, shape, or form, you need to be (and basic training should, if your TI/DI/DS did their jobs right, have taught you how to be) prepared for armed combat.

(Although, I certainly admit "turn men into killers" was hyperbole on my part that does not account for the fact that different jobs certainly have different likelihoods of getting someone into combat.)

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo