Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

39. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 16, 2010, 11:41 siapnar

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:20:
Such as? We've discussed most of the open world, sandbox games already and found them lacking either in AA, resolution or draw distance. Again, what console consumers find acceptable is entirely different from what PC consumers deem acceptable. I'm sure they can build an acceptable experience for console users but I'm not convinced they can do it without harming the PC version significantly.

AA and resolution aren't even an issue, because they can both be easily changed on PC. We're talking irreversible changes that multiplatform development will bring.
Again, you mention the draw distance. STALKER's draw distance was nothing to write home about, being blown away by games like RDR and Just Cause 2. Those two games don't even have zone-loading to lean on, either.
And all engines rely on LOD'ing tricks, they have to, or all other optimization would be practically pointless.

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:20:
Hopefully? Dude come on. Stalker had so many binds that there is no possible way you would get them onto a gamepad without extreme streamlining. I'd like to be optimistic about this but the very nature of the announcement makes that difficult.

Yes, there will be less buttons on console, but functions can always be added on PC. It takes hardly any time, it's just a matter of the studio caring whether to implement them or not.
The base UI can be kept pretty complex, I'm thinking. Navigating the one in STALKER with a gamepad wouldn't be all that hard, IMO.

Graphically and feature-wise, I think STALKER 2 can be just as impressive, if the devs, and more importantly, Publisher, decide to make the effort.

GSC seem to be pretty loyal to their PC following, so I have faith in them... more so than practically any other studio. If they don't respect and support the PC community, who will?

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo