Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

37. Re: On StarCraft II Anti-aliasing Jul 27, 2010, 15:34 Zyr

MeNameisMUD wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 13:53:
I just wanted to clear up a misconception...

SC2's rendering engine is what they call a defered renderer. More and more developers are using this technique because it simplifies the renderer and minimizes shader bloat (among other things).

It is NOT possible to support AA natively in a defered renderer using DX9 (which SC2 is). the only real option is control panel AA or moving to DX10/11.

This. This needs to be read and acknowledged by some of you guys.

And honestly, this is not something they hid. Beta was open for a long time and there were no AA options right from the beginning, and the DX9 engine was given as the reason. One of the benchmark tests Blue reported on a while back (Hardwarecanucks.com, I think) specifically mentioned that only Nvidia cards currently could flip on AA. Considering WoW is finally getting additional DX 10/11 support in Cata, it could be possible that's something they could add in for the expansions. Maybe?

The real news is ATI not planning to allow it to be turned on manually without the bioshock renaming trick, which is kind of...weird. I turned it on during beta and the performance hit was perfectly acceptable at 1920x1200 ultra settings. It wasn't a huge difference in graphical quality, but I stayed above 60 FPS so why not?

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2010, 15:43.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo