Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2010, 10:28 Zadig

Jerykk wrote on Jul 4, 2010, 04:37:
Regenerating health is lame because it negates the significance of getting hit. With health regen, the only hit that matters is the one that kills you. Every other hit can be shrugged off by hiding for a few seconds. When I play a shooter with regenerating health, I'll often just let enemies hit me so I can line up a good headshot. I don't care if I get hit because I can just cover, wait for my health to regenerate, then pop out and get some more headshots. Rinse and repeat until all enemies are dead. With finite health, every hit counts because you can only heal yourself a limited number of times. As such, you are forced to play better.

As for quicksaving, I can't really agree that it should be an option for all games. Much like regenerating health, quicksave effectively negates any intensity because it removes the penalty for failure. Certain genres rely on the risk of failure for most of their appeal; racing games, stealth games, horror games, etc. Imagine if you could quicksave during a race, then just reload that save if you screwed up. Intensity = gone. Some people will argue that they should be able to play games however they please but I disagree with that. I don't believe people should play games with God mode on, I don't believe people should use walkthroughs, I don't believe people should quicksave before taking any risk. If you read a book, you should it from beginning to end. You shouldn't skip chapters or read the book in reverse. Same with movies. Games, movies, books, etc, are designed to convey a specific experience and you shouldn't ruin that experience for yourself.

I'd agree about regenerating health. If it's available at all, it should be through items that aren't easy to obtain; like the implant in Deus Ex or certain rings in Baldur's Gate 2. Constant, fast regen is just a crutch for lazy developers and bad players.

Letting the player save the game whenever they want has to be allowed though. A linear rail shooter with a checkpoint every 90 seconds may not need it, but those games are horrible and don't belong on the PC anyway. Adults shouldn't be punished for sudden time constraints, due to work or family, and games developed with check points tend to be worse (more consolized and formulaic) than ones that aren't. Far Cry vs. Half Life for instance. Something utterly bewildering, like Stalker, would be completely unplayable without the ability to save whenever you want.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo